Downtown Waynesville is a must see while you are here. Complete with galleries, boutiques, restaurants, eclectic one of a kind gifts and souvenir shops and breweries. You could spend an entire afternoon walking the streets of downtown Waynesville on Main Street, Frog Level historic district and Hazelwood.
Art & Galleries
- Cedar Hill Studio
- Earthworks Galleries
- Haywood County Arts Council Gallery & Gifts
- Twig & Leaves Gallery
- Our Summerhouse Pottery
- Blue Owl Gallery
- May - Nov - 1st Friday each month - "Art After Dark" - Downtown galleries remain open until 9pm. Artist's receptions, demonstrations, and musicians.
Gift & Specialties Shops
- Main Street Mercantile
- Mast General Store
- Smoky Mountain Dog Bakery
- Sunburst Market
- Wall Street Books
- Mountain Favors
- Chocolate Bear
- Affairs of the Heart
- Mountain Quilts
- Olde Brick House
- Montgomery Street Market
Furniture & Accessories
- Moose Crossing's Burl Wood Gallery
- Antik Furniture
- Davis Home Furniture
- High Country Style Furniture
- Massie Furniture Company
- A Cat In The Attic
- Spenceberry Antiques
- Big Red Barn Trading Post & Antiques
- Depot Village Antiques - Frog Level
Food & Drink
- Firefly Taps & Grill
- Boojum Brewery and Restaurant
- Birchwood Hall Southern Kitchen
- Sweet Onion Restaurant
- Bogarts Restaurant & Tavern
- Chef's Table
- Church Street Depot
- Classic Wine Seller
- Frogs Leap Public House
- The Patio Bistro
- Bocelli's Italian Eatery
Bakeries & Coffee Shops
There are so many things to do when you visit Waynesville and the surrounding areas, it can be difficult to know where to start. You'll want to keep these popular attractions at the top of your list:
- The Museum of North Carolina Handicrafts
- Waynesville Salt Room
- Maggie Valley Puzzle Rooms
- Wheels Through Time Museum
- Cataloochee Valley Elk
- Cataloochee Ski and Tube Area
- Haywood County Quilt Trail
- The Strand on 38 Main
- HART Performing Arts Center
- Kayaking on Lake Junaluska
- Fly Fishing
- Waynesville Historic Farmers Market
- Leap Frog Tours
"Art After Dark" - May thru Nov - 1st Friday each month - Downtown galleries remain open until 9pm. Artist's receptions, demonstrations, and musicians.
"Friday Night Street Dances" on Main Street in front of the old Court House. Occurs every other Friday June thru August at 6:30pm. Enjoy the area's finest bluegrass musicians, bands, and clogging teams.
"Church Street Art & Craft Show" - 2nd Saturday of October 10-5pm on Main Street. This 35 year old festival is known to be one of the finest one-day juried art show in the region. Art & craft marketplace, food & drink, 2 stages of live mountain music, clogging teams, entertainment and more.
"Apple Harvest Festival" - 3rd Saturday of October 10-5pm on Main Street. This annual Apple Festival is a celebration of the autumn harvest and Haywood County's agricultural heritage. Countless booths of fresh apples, tarts, caramel apples, ciders, jewelry, pottery and yard art with live dancing, crafts, and old-fashioned games make this event fun for the whole family.
"Treats on the Street" - A safe way to trick-or-treat on Main Street starting at 5pm and followed by a Fall Festival held at First Baptist Church of Waynesville located at 100 S. Main Street.
"Tree Lighting Ceremony" - Last Friday of November located at Oak Park Inn - tree lighting and activities for children. Hot chocolate and cookies will be served.
"All Through The Town" - Dec 1-31. Holiday happenings all month in downtown businesses.
"Christmas Parade" - 1st Monday of December at 6pm on Main Street
"A Night Before Christmas" - Saturday following parade. 6-9pm. A Holiday tradition in Downtown Waynesville with live music, caroling, Bethlehem Market Place, Live Nativity, old-fashioned wagon rides, Santa, and luminaries.
Breweries & Pubs
We have three breweries and one liquor distillery in Haywood County. Two of our breweries are in Waynesville while the 3rd sits in Canton, right along the Pigeon River. Our distillery is located in Maggie Valley, about 15 minutes from our B&B.
- Frog Level Brewery - Haywood County's 1st Brewery
- Boojum - Located on Main Street in Waynesville
- BearWaters Brew Company - Canton's 1st Brewery
- Elevated Mountain Distillery - Haywood County's 1st Distillery
Pubs - all within walking distance of our Bed & Breakfast
Antique Stores all within 5 miles of our Bed & Breakfast
- A Cat In the Attic - Downtown Waynesville
- Spenceberry Antiques - Downtown Waynesville
- Big Red Barn Trading Post - Waynesville
- Depot Village - Frog Level
- Antique Antics - Hazelhurst
- Sutton and Sons Antiques - Maggie Valley
- Chateau Debris - Maggie Valley
- Scallywags - Hwy 74 Waynesville
- Balsam Antique Mall - Hwy 74 Waynesville
The Blue Ridge Parkway
The Blue Ridge Parkway is one of our communities biggest tourist attractions. The southernmost stretch of the Parkway is located 5 miles from Waynesville, and contains the highest peaks on the Parkway. Climbing to more than 6,000 feet in elevation, this day trip will give you unlimited breathtaking views and easy to moderate to intense hiking trails.
Entrance onto the Blue Ridge Parkway is at milepost 433.1 located in Waynesville.
- Waterrock Knob - panoramic views at 5,820 ft (milepost 423.2)
- Richland Balsam Mountain - highest peak at 6,410 ft (milepost 431.4)
- Mount Pisgah - 5,721 ft (milepost 408.6)
- Cherokee Indian Reservation - Southern entrance to the Parkway (milepost 469.1)
- Frying Pan Lookout Tower - climb a 70ft tower (milepost 409.6)
- Soco Falls - roadside falls (milepost 455.7)
People love coming to the mountains just to golf our gorgeous courses. Golfing in WNC includes panoramic views from elevated tees, the challenge of golf holes that run uphill, downhill, and side hill, and putting on greens that are sometimes etched around mountain streams and lakes. If golf is something that you love, make sure you check out one or all of our courses in Haywood County.
White water rafting in the mountains? What an incredible experience to have while you are here. Pick from an easy float to exhilarating Class IV rapids. Here are some nearby outdoor companies you may consider.
Kayak on the nearby beautiful Lake Junaluska. This calm water lake has an approximate 3 mile perimeter lined with beautiful houses. Fish right from your kayak or just take in the view of the distant mountains. You might even be able to spot the lakes resident white swans.
2 kayaks for rent at our Bed & Breakfast
- 1 single person sit-in kayak
- 1 single person sit-on kayak
Includes life jacket, paddle, and drop off and pick up
$20.00 per day per kayak (waiver must be signed)
Have your own kayak or canoe? No problem. Lake Junaluska has a public boat launch.
One of our favorite past times is to hike to a waterfall. The following are our favorites and are less than 30 miles from our Bed & Breakfast.
- Soco Falls (a roadside fall)
- Grave Yard Fields (hike to 2 falls)
- Looking Glass Falls (a roadside fall)
- Slide Rock (with a natural slide and swimming hole)
- Moore Cove Falls (walk behind falls)
- Triple Falls, High Falls, Hooker Falls (all 3 located in same park)
Picture taken at High Falls in Dupont State Forest
Come sit for a spell on our covered deck and listen to nature and view the wildlife. We even provide binoculars and a bird identification book for those bird enthusiastics.
Some of the animals viewed right on the grounds of Almost Heaven are:
- Brown Bear
- Red Fox
- White Tail Deer
- White Skunk
- Chipmunks, Raccoons, Rabbits, Squirrels and Flying Squirrels.
Several different species of birds have been identified eating at our many bird feeders located throughout our property including:
- Ruby Throated Humming Bird
- Eastern Towhee
- Downy Woodpecker
- Rose-breasted Grosbeak
- Red-bellied Woodpecker
- Pileated Woodpecker
- Blue Jay
- House Finch
- House Wren
- Song Sparrow
- Carolina Wren
- Purple Finch
- Northern Cardinal
- Brown Thrasher
- Mourning Dove
- Carolina Chickadee
- White-breasted Nuthatch
- Tufted Titmouse
- Gray Catbird
- American Goldfinch
So, whether you are an avid bird watcher or just want the peace and quiet only nature can provide, come to our Bed & Breakfast and experience why this is "Almost Heaven".
The following additional sights and activities in and around Waynesville have been highly recommended by our guests. Check them out!
- Biltmore Estate (recommended by Joshua and Jennifer)
- Navitat Ziplines (recommended by Andy and Lea)
- Sierra Nevada Brewing Co (recommended by Nicholas and Kadence)
- Thad Woods Auction (recommended by Jocelyn)
- Bourbon Barrel Beef & Ale Restaurant (recommended by Ken and Kelli)